08 May 2011

On Mother's Day

REPORT FROM THE MINE FIELD:  After much strategic planning (OK, 'much strategic' may be a bit of a stretch as it was more like a couple of late-night emails earlier this week), chocolate was secured and distributed to the women of the congregation.  Human shields (AKA the Young Men of the ward) were used for the distribution.  At this point, blowback is non-existent.  While I'm not prepared to go all Bush 43 and declare "Mission Accomplished" a tad prematurely, I will say I think we dodged another bullet this Mother's Day as a bishopric.  Queue the "sigh o' relief." END MINE FIELD REPORT

It's been a good Mother's Day, from my perspective, at least.  My wife, the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML, seems more than content and CAL, the Boy, and I have worked together well to put together a nice dinner.  And that mother of all Mothers, Mother Nature, who has been more than nasty to us this year, is in a fine mood today.  It is absolutely gorgeous outside - nearly 70! - and so that's made it an even better day.

It's also been a good day for reflection.  I am a very blessed man.  I am married to a woman who has stood by my side for nearly 23 years and has mothered our children into decent, good, kind people who are choosing to do good things.  My children are such a reflection of their mother.  She has embodied the divine nature of the calling of being a mother.  She is awesome.

I'm also blessed to have an amazing mother.  There's a unique bond between mothers and their sons and that bond is even stronger when you are the first-born child.  I enjoy that unique bond with my Mom.  Always have.  It's been very interesting to see how our relationship has changed since my Dad died.  She's had to face challenges that I'm sure she never thought would be hers.  It's been good to be a part of that with  her.  I don't think we go more than two days without talking.  I cherish those opportunities.  She's amazing.

As I've reflected on Mother's Day, I've thought, too, of the other mother to whom I say 'thank you' today.  I thank a woman who I don’t know, someone who gave me a remarkable gift.  Nearly 45 years ago, a young woman whose circumstances at the time are  unknown to me to this day, decided that giving up her baby for adoption was the best course of action for that soon-to-be born child.  When he was born and placed in the arms of a couple who had waited for more than eight years for a child, lives were changed forever.  That baby was placed in a home of parents who loved the Savior with all their hearts, and who lived the Gospel to its fullest.  That baby was me.  I was given the gift of an eternal family by that young woman and I thank her today.  I don't know who she is, nor do I need to, but I do say thank you. 

3 comments:

Kari Nitzel said...

Glad everything worked out for you and your ward. Wonderful Mothers Day sentiments.

Middle-aged Mormon Man said...

Lovely. Thank you.

Mom of 12 said...

The YM were also recruited in our ward to give out homemade chocolate truffles to the women. My 12-year-old reported that in her Sunday School class all of the deacons had their pockets and their mouths stuffed full of chocolates. I'm glad it worked in your ward...not so much in mine.
Sandy