03 June 2008

1982 All Over Again!

So I was checking out something on the Chicago Tribune website earlier this morning when I caught three little letters out the corner of my eye - YAZ. Was it a trick? I read it over again...indeed, a concert listing for Yaz in Chicago this July. Really? It couldn't be the original duo, I thought. That was not a good breakup and I couldn't imagine them back together. And, frankly, I thought Vince Clark might be dead. So off to the font of all knowledge I went - Google. Within seconds, it was 1982 all over again. "Upstairs at Eric's" is back! The original duo, Vince Clark and Alison Moyet, are back playing dates across Europe and the US this summer.

This takes me back to the halcyon days of 1982 and 1983. I was utterly mesmerized by Alison's voice - she was amazing. I must have played that album (well, cassette - way before CD's) until it broke. This album and that voice were one of the reasons I wanted to go to London so badly when I was a teenager. London was the center of all cool in my mind - it had to be better than Scottsdale, for sure. When I finally got to London in the summer of 1984, it met all my expectations. I've been going back to London for more than 20 years now. A couple of years ago, I saw the play "Chicago" in London and had the chance to see Alison Moyet when she was playing "Matron Mama Morton." She was incredible.

So here it is - twenty six years since their first album and it's Yazoo Reconnected. It cracks me up. I'm not sure I can miss this opportunity. Here's a look at what Yazoo looks and sounds like today. Enjoy -


I found this gem (turns out Youtube is of some marginal worth) while chatting with a Dell Support Agent tonight. We got the new hard drive for Shari's computer and thanks to the wonder of the "chat" function, she is up and rolling again. I have to say, Dell pulled it out of the fire with this function. It was awesome. I still believe that Vista is a tool of the Devil but I have to hand it to Dell for a massive improvement in customer service with the advent of chat!

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Kev and I were just talking about this band a little while ago. That song brings back all kinds of teenage angst! :)

The cheerleaders would always perform to Yaz songs. Love that techno rif.

My fav was "Only You" The best slow-dance song ever! I loved the harmonies of that song. Ahhh, young love! Are you going to catch the concert?

heidi said...

Yaz is on my iPod for running--there a few great songs to run to--this will be fun to see the 80's video's--