29 June 2008

A not so simmering summer Sunday

How's that for some alliteration in the title of today's post?!

It's pretty cool for a summer's day here in Chicagoland. Mostly rainy too, but at least it doesn't feel like a steambath o'humidity. That's a good thing.

Home from getting religion already - today's been a blur, as has the entire last week. Church was good - Greg Boswell gave a really powerful talk and Mari Louengrath blew the place away with her violin rendition of "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief." She had no sheet music in front of her, all from memory - she is a master of the violin. And what an amazing instrument the violin is. There are very few musical instruments that capture the Spirit the way the violin does. Amazing! I taught a combined EQ/HP lesson and was really glad when that was over. It was a meaty topic and I'm not sure I did it justice in 35 minutes.

Based on attendance today at Church, summer vacations have begun in earnest. It's going to be a quiet week at work. After running all over last week, I am glad. Some of my exploits made the Chicago Tribune. Got back from New York City and ran a "fun run" 5K on Saturday morning and improved my PR by about 30 seconds. Run another one on the 4th of July, so we'll see if I shave off some more time.

Looking forward to getting Courtney home in a week. She's been gone too long. And I am still waiting for my oldest daughter to call me back from last Monday when she said she would call me right back. Sarah - call your DAD!!!

Missing my oldest is turning this into a bit of a cruel period in my life. That got me thinking about an appropriate 80's video and here it is - the ladies of Banarama and "Cruel Summer" -

No comments: