01 June 2008

Musings on a Fast Sunday

Seriously, the first of June? Already? At least it's, technically, a day of rest. A gorgeous day here in Chicagoland and we spent it getting religion. It's Fast Sunday today (quick reminder for those non-Mormon readers o'the Den - the first Sunday of each month is a dedicated day of fasting as well as an opportunity for Church members to share their testimonies during our Sacrament service) and it was a nice day. Nothing out of the ordinary. Even the boys who usually play "Testimony Bingo" were disappointed by how NORMAL it was today.

Once we were home, it became a day of further rest. Lots of napping today. Which amazes me since all three kids are out of school now. How could they suddenly be so exhausted? I didn't get through the Sunday New York Times until 330PM today. Courtney is now making snickerdoodles for later tonight and I have flank steak marinating in an Asian marinade that I made this morning. I'll grill it later and add it to a fried rice. That'll be dinner. I'm using a yakitori sauce from the local Asian market as the marinade base. I then through in a splash of soy sauce, one diced clove of garlic, a handful of diced green onion, and some ginger powder. I think it'll be pretty tasty.

I'm also reading an amazing new book called "They Poured Fire On Us From The Sky." It is stunning. Very simply written, it is the story of three young boys, now young men, who escaped Sudan. It is a very moving read and it compels you to find a way to be a part of stopping genocide. It stuns me that we, sons and daughters of a loving Father in Heaven, continue to kill one another in the name of peace, or protection, or destiny. It's got to stop...but read this book.

No comments: