16 June 2008

Despair - Party of One

"Paging Despair, party of one...Despair." That page would be for me, can I just tell you. Despair checked in this afternoon at the end of a mile calibration run at Herrick Lake. I was calibrating my boss new Nike+ gadget that I got yesterday for Father's Day and was most excited about it. Until I completed the mile run, or what I thought was the mile run.

When I started running at Herrick, I checked their maps and have been training on a loop around the lake. Their maps said it's a mile. Umm...check here for lies, lies, and more lies. Try less than a mile, try .85 mile. I liked to have died when I saw that today. I think this photo captures my sentiments at the exact moment:

Seriously, I liked to have died. I've been training short this entire time. No wonder I hit the wall so hard on Saturday. (Well that and the fact that I suddenly channeled a cheetah for the first part of the race!) So this now changes everything in terms of what I've been doing. I mean I'm glad I discovered this faux pas now, but I sure would have liked to have been clued in, oh I don't know, when I first started running.

I'm sure there's some kind of Gospel learning in this little debacle. I'm just not sure what that is right now. There's got to be an Ensign article in this. Once I sooth my rage/injured ego, I'll work on that.

So tonight's 80's video selection has everything to do with tonight's running debacle, based solely on its title and that's it. Kate Bush has a stunning voice. Take a listen and look at "Running Up That Hill"

2 comments:

heidi said...

I walked what I thought was 3 miles everyday for 1 1/2 years. I got a pedometer and found that it was only 2 miles. No wonder I didn't drop any weight and I was TICKED! I'd been lying to myself and everyone else that whole time. I feel your pain!!

Anonymous said...

ugh more watermarked images. Your site's a wasteland of copyright infringement.