21 June 2008

The Crosstown Classic=SMACKDOWN

If I recall correctly, 21 June is the official first day of summer. Is there any better way to spend such an august day than at a baseball game? I would say that no, there is no better way, especially when it's a baseball game at Wrigley Field in Chicago. There is no greater experience in baseball than a summer's day game at Wrigley with your son. What a place!

And it's even better when it's the Crosstown Classic - the epic battle of the Cubs versus the White Sox. Aramis Ramirez sealed the deal yesterday for the Cubbies in Game One and today, given the number of hits that the Cubbies were essentially spewing, like a geyser, in the fourth inning, it was the team as a whole that spanked, and deservedly so, the White Sox. It was a rout, plain and simple. Dare I say a smackdown? Yep, I do...a smackdown was served today. We had outstanding seats - Field Box seats about thirteen rows up behind home plate. I love the intimacy of Wrigley Field. I also love what the fans have to say/yell. I've never heard suicide suggestions made as, well, colorfully and creatively, as they are at Wrigley.

That fourth inning, nine run cavalcade was just outstanding. Parker and I had so much fun, getting into more and more with each run scored. It was really fun watching him get so into the game. He truly loves the game of baseball. I love being a part of these memories with him.

We used CTA to get down to the game and that was a tad challenging, thanks to the lame-o's at CTA who neglected to mention that cut in the Blue Line during the weekends for construction on their website. This meant riding the Blue Line for four stops and then transferring in between stations via a bus and getting back on the train to get down to the Red Line and up to Wrigley. The CTA is just a mess but I will say I do like the $5 one day, ride all you want pass.

Using O'Hare as our jumping off point made sense inasmuch as we left the game a little early to meet Shari, who came home from her trip to Utah today. It was odd to see her there without Sarah or Courtney. Sarah is officially ensconced in her dorm room, starting classes this coming Monday. Shari said it really wasn't all that tough to say goodbye. I'm still really glad I wasn't there. And Courtney wrapped up her week at EFY and is now running around with Shari's mom and stepdad for two weeks. At least she's coming home.

No video tonight - I'm exhausted and can't really think of a real baseball-theme 80s video. Although I seem to recall that Huey Lewis and the News may have done something and it pains me to even mention them, let alone dredge up some of their old drivel. I just can't do it.

No comments: