15 August 2008

So the yellow light means something here...who knew?!

When we first moved to Chicagoland two years ago, we quickly learned that the yellow traffic light was merely a suggestion...and based on the evidence we saw, it was a suggestion to speed through that light at all times and at all costs. Yellow lights here are extraordinarily long and so you get lulled into a sense of complacency, especially when it comes to turning left. Well tonight that complacency bit me squarely on the backside.

We had no kids tonight. CAL and PTL went up one of the northern 'burbs with friends and SAL flies home tomorrow. So after grilling up the last of the amazing steak that we got last week and enjoying some mashed sweet potatoes, I suggested going into downtown Naperville for a bit of a walk around. We are enjoying such amazing weather and the moon was full tonight, it seemed appropriate to go for a walk. That's when things went south.

I soon found myself the last car in a line of three turning left. I shouldn't have accelerated but I did and had I seen the police officer, I would have held back (OK...maybe I think I would have held back). However, the Swedemobile compelled me and I turned. As I did, I saw the police cruiser and within five seconds, the back of the Swedemobile was awash in flashing blue and red lights.

I knew there was no point in trying to weasel my way out. The officer could not have been more pleasant, even complimenting me on my unblemished driving record. He did, however, have to give me a ticket. He said it was because of our governor's decision to eliminate the "Warning" option for certain traffic violations. Don't think for a second that Governor Blagejovich (FYI-only Donald Trump has more description-defying hair) did this for the safety of the citizens of Illinois. It's a pure revenue grab, plain and simple. Because you can pay the fine and get out of points if you stay out of "trouble" for ninety days. Clearly this is the path I am going to follow...last thing I need is points. My insurance company would love that.

Anyway, I have to give credit to the officer tonight. He really was cool about it. If the Naperville PD did a customer satisfaction survey, he'd score highly.

No comments: