31 August 2008

Sydney Highlights - Round Tres

Home stretch here people - see the earlier posts to get caught up on the Sydney saga so far.

Sydney is chock a'block with cool galleries and museums. We spent an evening in the Art Gallery of New South Wales - they have a remarkable collection of Chinese art that was really interesting to see.

We also spent some time at the Museum of Contemporary Art, which I've decided I just don't get - contemporary art, that is. Cool building in Circular Quay though.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention more of the food we got to sample while in Sydney. Amazing stuff. The crowning event for me was getting Shari to try kangaroo, which she gamely did (no pun intended, either!). Granted, it was only a little and it was on a pizza, but she tried it. We ate at this great little place in the Rocks called the Australian Hotel and that's where I ordered a kangaroo pepper pizza. It was awesome! Check out the link to the Hotel...we ate outside and soaked up a lot of character. It's a really fun place.

While we were walking around the Rocks, Shari sampled mango ice cream and really liked it:

I was delighted to see that my obsession with the cupcake could be fed, even more than 9,000 miles from Chicagoland. I bought a strawberry vanilla cupcake at the place pictured below. It was really, really good-the cupcake.

On our last night in Sydney, we met a friend of mine who recently moved to Melbourne from Hong Kong and was in Sydney for business and we had a most amazing dinner at a restaurant in Circular Quay that has been consistently ranked at the best in Sydney - the Quay. To say that it was amazing would be an understatement. It's already been rated Sydney's best restaurant for 2009 and it's only August 2008. You have to click on the link to the restaurant to take in their menu. Words cannot adequately describe this place. From the views to the food, it was all perfection. The mud crab congee that I started with was beyond incredible. I can't say enough about it, other than to tell you to go there. Fantastic. Simply fantastic.

1 comment:

Byron said...

Mike... You're looking good dude... I've got to get on your diet.... I thought the food in Chicago was supposed to give you a heart attack...