25 March 2011

And a hush fell over the assembled throng

Last night we had the chance to join several hundred other fans at the BYU Marriott Center to watch BYU play Florida on the Jumbotron in their NCAA Sweet Sixteen match-up.  It was an amazing game - on more than one occasion I thought I'd need the assistance of a couple hits from the cardiac paddles to get through the game.  The energy in the crowd was amazing until the last two minutes of overtime, when it was clear the Cougars would not be advancing to the Elite Eight.  A hush, one so think you could cut it with a knife, fell over the assembled throng (mostly freshmen - and DO NOT even get me started on that crowd.  Or how funny it was that every single time a beer commercial came on, it was quickly replaced with an ad to win a date with a Cougarette.  In my book, no good comes from either option, but I digress.  One more editorial aside - it is not necessary to wear overalls and a hardhat to the game, BYU freshman kid, and if I have to explain why, well, it's too late). 

As we walked out, I got to thinking about the amazing college career that had just ended for this young man:
What an incredible player and his playing career has been amazing to watch so far.  And he's just a decent, good guy.  You don't get that a lot in athletes.  Jimmer's the real deal and I wish him all the best in the next phase of his career.  It will be fun to watch.

Earlier in the day, as we had to, once again as the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML pointed out, run through an airport to make a connection, I thought of this disgraced, murderous, thieving athlete:
Yep, O.J., we had to run through an airport like you used to.  It's funny to think of the decency and humility of someone like Jimmer and then think about you.  Talk about juxtaposition.  I think Jimmer will turn out a bit better than the Juice.

1 comment:

Tom said...

It was a fun year while it lasted. I remember those commercials and used to love O.J. I hate it when athletes you look up to turn bad. I just hope Jimmer never lets us down with a double homicide.