14 March 2011

The China Syndrome

Ever since watching the horrific events of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan unfold live and knowing that several nuclear power plants have been seriously, like Chernobyl serious, impacted, I have been thinking about the movie, The China Syndrome.

Having seen it again somewhat recently, I realize it wasn't the greatest movie ever made.  It did, however, scare me silly.  I recall seeing it when it opened and being terrified at the thought of a meltdown - the scenario playing out in the movie.  It was only about two weeks later that I was on the rolling death trap school bus when news broke over the radio that there was some kind of trouble at a nuclear power plant in Pennsylvania.  That plant - Three Mile Island.  I was glued to my seat as the story unfolded.  I was growing rapidly convinced that some kind of nuclear holocaust was imminent.  Now, bear in mind, I lived on the other side of the continent at the time.  Didn't matter, though, I was freaked.  It didn't help that my science teacher was in full panic mode about it when I got to school.  He was a typical 70's-era anti-nuclear activist and this had him in full seizure status.  The rest of the day was spent listening to what was happening in Pennsylvania and what might happen.  We know that disaster was averted and about the only thing that calmed me down was a very funny SNL sketch about the meltdown. 

So fast-forward thirty-two years, and the nation of Japan is reeling from a tremendous earthquake and tsunami and now, three nuclear reactors in various stages of, well, bad.  I'm not in "China Syndrome" panic mode yet but it certainly is worrisome. I'd be happy to not hear things like "containment vessels" and "radiation releases" for awhile.  What an epic tragedy for Japan.  I've been to Japan on several occasions and it's an incredible country.  The people are amazingly resilient and I'm certain they will recover.  It's going to tough.  My thoughts and prayers are with them.

1 comment:

Middle-aged Mormon Man said...

I feel bad for the Japanese people. Of all the countries in the world that should never have to deal with nuclear fallout - it is Japan. Once is enough for anyone.

The China Syndrome was good. I thought Jane Fonda was good looking back then.

I would still rather have nuclear energy with the risk than - darkness.