13 April 2011

Back in 2nd Grade

I found myself back in a second grade classroom today.  It did not look like this:
The classroom I was in was, well, a tad older.  I was in a school up on the (way) North Shore (nearly Wisconsin-adjacent).  I was in the classroom as a volunteer, teaching on behalf of Junior Achievement.  Can I just say how fun this was?  More fun than I had expected.

I had the class for about two hours and these kids were great.  Their teacher has created a good learning environment for a group of kids who are bi-lingual, and in many cases, somewhat new to English.  So, so glad I was able to communicate en espanol.  The kids had fun with my Cuban-tinted Spanish.  It was fun to work with these kids.  No one cried - me especially.  I must tip my hat to the teacher - she's doing an amazing job!  It takes a unique personality to teach and my admiration goes out to those who do this job so well.  Funny thing about this teacher - it turns out we both followed a horrible telenovela called 'Cristal.'  I caught it when it first aired in the mid-80's (as missionaries, we could not teach or see people when it was on.  If we did, we were told to sit in front of the TV and watch until it was over - to this day, the theme song 'Que Porque Te Quiero' still rattles around in my head) and she watched it in the early 90's in Spain when it aired there.  That was funny. 

On another note, I've noticed a spike in traffic on the blog, including the occasional hit from Bulgaria, which makes me nervous.  But the increase in readers is cool.  If you like what you're reading, follow the Den.

From the journal 25 years ago today: Another Sunday here and gone.  They just fly.  I can't believe how tired I get on that day.  And it is supposed to be a day of rest!!  Maybe one day.  No one was in Church today.  Members are so great sometimes and then other times - I'd love to just scream at them.  But instead - what else is there to do?  Just love them every one.

No comments: