29 April 2011

Sprucing up the den

I feel like the den has needed to be wrapped in CAUTION tape over the course of the last few days as I've tinkered with the look and, dare I say it, theme of the den.  It's been a bit of a challenge to get it where I wanted (the button creation liked to have killed me), but I think it's pretty much there.  Initially, when thinking about the theme, I really wanted to find an image of the den in this house:
If you don't recognize this house, I can only surmise that you were raised by wolves.
I thought that the den of an architect who designed a house for a perpetually blissful blended family of eight and their live-in maid with no working toilets would make for interesting conversational fodder.  But no workable image of the den was to be found.  So, the sofa theme made sense.  Feel free to grab a sofa button and post it!

I'm a little hesitant to use the word "theme."  You see, my mother was, and still is, the Queen of Themes.  This theme obsession of hers only makes her more awesome.  Anyway, there was not an event growing up that wasn't themed.  Nothing.  As an example, when I went on my mission, the Mission Farewell and Open House was second only to a wedding in its production values and associated hysteria.  Mine was no different.  Since I'd been called to serve in Florida, oranges (Editorial Aside - I'm still kind of surprised that Anita Bryant didn't make an appearance.) played a significant role in the invitations (yep, invitations were mailed out).  At the Open House itself, the theme continued with the alligator-shaped bread centerpiece.  I kid you not.  All I can say is, God bless President Hinckley for putting the kill order on the farewell/open house shenanigans.  I think Mom finally stopped asking me for theme ideas several years ago when she asked me how she could incorporate lemons into her Relief Society lesson on service.  Feeling a tad testy that day, I shot back with the following: "Mom, how about this?  Service is like a lemon.  It sucks."  It was not my finest hour and certainly not a reflection of my true feelings towards service.  I promise.

My paying job gives me the opportunity to be a part of my Company's work with non-profit organizations across the United States.  I am in awe of what people across this country are trying to do for their fellowman and for the planet on which we live.  It's actually hopeful and inspiring.  I saw some of the fruits of that labor last night at a dinner.  Four of the most well-spoken fourth grade girls I've ever heard spoke to the assembled crowd about their goals and the association that was hosting the dinner had helped them.  There are so many people of different backgrounds, faiths, and colors that are doing good in the world today.  No one group owns the keys to doing good.  We all have an opportunity to do good in this world.  So let's go do something good.

1 comment:

Mom of 12 said...

You are too funny! I can't believe you'd say such a thing at all and to your mother of all people...was that a Girl Scout gathering by any chance? I've been to more than a few of those myself. With 8 daughters I'm destined to tolerate a few more...
Sandy
www.twelvemakesadozen.blogspot.com