17 April 2011

Seen. Reading. Heard.

Here's a rundown of what's been seen, read, and heard this weekend here in the Den:
Seen
The stunningly patient and mighty fine SML saw this last night.  It's a fascinating movie.  Wrenching retelling of a tragic chapter in American history.  It's also a thinly-veiled assault on our nation's recent "interpretation" of civil rights as it relates to certain government detainees.  Kevin Kline's 'Dick Cheney as Lincoln's Secretary of War' was more than a little thought provoking.  Great movie.
Reading
I started reading this.  It's "Freakanomics" for sports.  I'm one chapter in and it's all kinds of good.
Heard
And today, two missionaries serving in our ward sang "I Heard Him Come."  (Editorial aside - I'm not even going to talk about the group that made this song famous in Mormon circles, Afterglow.  What were they thinking with that name?)  I believe this song was required to be sung at pomp-and-circumstance missionary farewells (remember those?) by a girl group, usually the departing missionary's girlfriend and her two BFF's, in the early and mid-80's.  My own farewell was no different.  This song was sung, but not my a girlfriend.  Rather three girls I'd met at the Y sang.  I'd forgotten the name of the song, so I made up the title.  Said made up title appeared in the bulletin that day.  So as these two missionaries sang today, I had a bit of a smile on my face as I recalled the day that song was sung at my own farewell.  Good memory.

From the journal 25 years ago today: Well, here we are again!  Interviews went well.  I couldn't believe how relaxed the President was.  He was just laughing it up, having a good time.  It was fun to see him like that and it eased me up.  He told me I'd be in the area another six months.  It gives me something to look forward to.

1 comment:

Cheeseboy said...

I've been wanting to see that movie. Even more now.

Never thought of that hymn that way, but now I will never think of it the same again. Funny.