27 April 2011

The MixPost - a play on the mixtape

For many of us of a certain age/generation, the mixtape was a rite of passage.  Especially the first one you made.  If you were like me, you cast aside any homework you had to concentrate on creating the perfect mixtape.  Hours were spent in "mixing" the songs that would express what your awkward teen-age self could not.  In short, mix tapes were awesome.  And ridiculous.  But, I would venture to guess that if you ever got one, you still have it.  I stand guilty as charged.  Of course, I have no way of playing it since all we have are CD players but that is neither here nor there.

Tonight, I give you a mixpost, a play on the mixtape in a few lines:

"Beethoven (I Love to Listen)" because it helps me relax.  Relaxing is good in a world where "Everybody Wants to Rule the World."  And when I think about that, I get so cranky that I am no longer "This Charming Man" and "I Hate Everything."  The fact is "People are People" and we'd all be better off if we tried to "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life."  At least that's what my Dad tried to teach me.

When I think of my Dad, I can't help but think of my own family.  I think of my oldest and how she tries to bring "Honor to Us All."  I think of CAL and her own "Private Idaho" that she'll soon be creating as she goes off to university.  And then there's the Boy, our own "King Without a Crown."  He really does rule his own world and it looks like it would be a pretty awesome place to be.  I'm glad all three of them have learned to "Dream Big." Then there's the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML.  To this day, she still leaves me "Breathless" and I know I must have done "Something Right" to have the life I have with her.  I'm dang glad that "She Sees a Diamond" in me, even after nearly twenty-three years.  Ours is a "Love Without End, Amen."

So I'm a lucky man, not one "Born of Frustration."  I've spent more than "One Night in Bangkok" but I've not been "Across the Universe" and I haven't stayed in the "Hotel California."  Yet I have been to five continents, where I've listened to "Russian Radio," "Mexican Radio," and even a "Bohemian Rhapsody."  We've flipped a coin and said "Heads Carolina, Tails California" and wound up in Chicago so I could earn a little more "Legal Tender" and five years later, we are still "Holding On To Good."  The Chicago "Rush Hour" still pales in comparison to what we faced in SoCal and it's not bad driving it in the "Avalon," not a "Cadillac Car."  It's a "Simple Kind of Life," I guess.

To remember it all, "Every Day, I Write the Book," or the blog.  That way, when I'm old and that's coming faster than I'd like because I can't be "Forever Young," I can read this stuff and say, "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" and that it was "More Than a Feeling."  It was "Good Stuff."  So "Stop Your Fussin'" and "Come Back and Stay" and enjoy your time in the Den.

And there you have it, the mixpost.  Try and figure out who sang what.  I don't have anything cool to give away if you name them all but go for it!  Enjoy!

No comments: