30 April 2011

The Doorbell - A Rememberance

Fare thee, well.

A long-serving doorbell suffered an ignominious death today at the hands of its archenemy, the ill-prepared husband with a long "honey do" list.  It should have been a pain-free retirement event for the doorbell.  He was being retired after years of faithful service.  His replacement, an eager new design doorbell, was ready to serve.  The tragedy unfolded rapidly as the ill-prepared husband learned he had to drill into the door jam in order to make room the new doorbell.  The ill-prepared husband confidently made his first contact with the power drill and it went fine.  This led to a state of overconfidence and within seconds, tragedy ensued.  One of the trusty wires that had for many years powered the old doorbell was suddenly ensnared in the spinning drill bit.  That 5/8 inch bit was unrelenting in its rapid assault on the faithful bell.  Its wiring torn to bits, the last tragic cries of the doorbell were imperceptible.  The cries of frustration of the ill-prepared husband drowned out everything else.  We mourn the loss of the doorbell today.

When will I learn that I have no business handling power tools?  Seriously?  I killed a doorbell in less than two seconds today.  It should have been so easy.  Really.  Easy.  But it wasn't.  I'm still shocked (no pun intended) that I wasn't somehow electrocuted.  I have to go now.  I need to go put a Post-It over the dead doorbell.  May it rest in peace...

1 comment:

Monty Newlin said...

Oh, Michael, Michael, Michael. Haven't you learned yet that some people use tools and some of us have to pay others to use tools? Perhaps we're not evolved enough. My wife learned VERY early in our marriage that, in the long run, it was easier and cheaper to hire someone to do something than to have me delay, break everything and then still have to pay someone. I'm so glad you weren't hurt! -- Monty