27 December 2009

21


Hitting 21 in a game of blackjack is a pretty darn good thing, right? At least that's what I've been told, but I digress. This is I can tell you...21 is a good, solid number. I know because today, December 27th, the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML and I celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. I am a lucky, lucky man. I know it. My mother still marvels that SML married me. On my last trip to see my mom a few weeks ago, she reminded me again of just how lucky I was that SML agreed to marry me. Just to clarify, it's not like I was JoJo the Dog-Faced Boy nearly 22 years ago when SML and I met and that getting her to agree to marry me required some act of magic, but it's safe to say I was a bit of a diamond in the rough. The stunningly patient and mighty fine SML saw that and has since worked diligently to make me a better man.

We've gotten better together. We've had the incredible blessing of three amazing children. We've endured job losses and big moves. We've held each other through the sadness of losing our fathers. We've laughed ourselves silly watching 80's music compilation commercials. We've seen a few far-flung corners of the world (and may I point out that the stunningly patient and mighty fine SML has NEVER had to fly Coach on any of those long-hauls - nothing but comfort for her - one of the bonuses of marrying an airline dork). We've worked together to make the right decisions for our family.

As I look back on these 21 years, I'd say we've done OK. We're not perfect, not by a long shot. We continue to evolve together. It's not boring, never has been. I am lucky to be in as much love with my wife today as I was the day we were married 21 years ago. I'll say it again...I am a lucky, lucky man and to the stunningly patient SML, I say, Happy Anniversary and love you.

No comments: